Ghosted! Top 10 Texas Ghost Towns That Have Been Ghosted!
Abandoned and alone are two words always associated with Ghost Towns. Yes, in today's talk these Texas towns have been GHOSTED! Known as 'Ghost Towns' these Texas towns have pretty much been left to rot away. Let's take a look at 10 towns in Texas that have that eerie abandoned feel! Let's countdown what this video says are the Top 10 Ghost Towns in Texas!
#10 • ALDRIDGE, TEXAS
- Located: Southeast of Lufkin, Texas
- Aldridge Texas was occupied from 1905-1923. The sawmill was the main business at the time. Several fires among things added to the demise of the town.
- Abandoned in 1925
#9 • BLUFFTON, TEXAS (UNDERWATER)
- Located: 1 Hour Northwest of Austin, Texas
- Old Bluffton Ghost Town is located below at the bottom of Lake Buchanan. Bluffton was founded on dry land back in 1852. The construction of Buchanan Dam pretty much destroyed the town of Bluffton with water levels rising over the entire town.
- Abandoned in late 1930's
#8 • TEXON, TEXAS
- Located: 95 miles West of San Angelo, Texas
- Texon, Texas was once the site of an oil boom! Founded in 1923. 2000 people once lived here.
- Abandoned in 1986
#7 • NEWGULF, TEXAS
- Located: 1 hour Southwest of Houston, Texas
- Newgulf was founded around 1909. Sulfur deposits pretty much made the town. In 1928 they built a Sulfur plant. 400 houses used to be in Newgulf.
- Abandoned after 1957
#6 • FOWLERTON, TEXAS
- Located: 1 Hour South of San Antonio, Texas
- Fowlerton, Texas was founded around 1910. But, a drought in 1917 hurt the population of Fowlerton.
- Abandoned after 1931
#5 • FRIO TOWN, TEXAS
- Located: 1 Hour Southwest of San Antonio
- Frio Town, Texas was laid out in 1871. The jail in Frio Town actually held some pretty famous outlaws back in the day like Jesse James. The railroad bypassed the city and hurt its population and growth.
- Abandoned by 1953
#4 • CATERINA, TEXAS
- Located: 2 Hours West of Corpus Christi, Texas
- Caterina, Texas was founded around 1910, Town once had a Post Office, Hotel, and Commissary.
- Abandoned in 1990
#3 • SILVER, TEXAS
- Located: 1 Hour 30 Minutes Southeast of Midland, Texas
- Silver, Texas was founded in the 1870s and actually grew in 1946 when Oil was found in the area.
- Abandoned in mid-1960's
#2 • SHAFTER, TEXAS
- Located: 18 miles North of Presidio, Texas
- Shafter, Texas was founded around 1885. Silver mines were in operation in the early 1900s. Population of 4,000 in 1940.
- Abandoned in 1950
#1 • TERLINGUA, TEXAS
- Located: 2 Hour South of Alpine,Texas
- Terlingua, Texas was founded back in the 1880s due to Mercury mining. Abandoned mines and buildings are everywhere in the area known as Terlingua.
- Abandoned: 1947